God as Your Role Model
And so the only thing to do is to enter into contact with it- not to give a name or describe it. In fact, there is hardly any use giving it a name or describing it. One must try to enter into contact, to concentrate upon it, live it, live that reality, and whatever the name you give it is not at all important once you have the experience. The experience alone counts. The Mother,
In truth who knows God becomes God.. Mundaka Upanishad.
Let the mind be in you, which was also in Jesus Christ. St.Paul.
The Knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if he stood there and they here. This is not so, God and I, we are one in knowledge. Eckhart.
What is the best way to grow in the likeness of God and cultivate his divine qualities? How can you manifest godliness in you so that you can manifest in you the power of God and become a channel to his eternal love and abundance and heal others with his healing power as it flows through you?
If you are filled with yourself, you cannot bring his power into you. If you are preoccupied with your own concerns, you will not hear the voice of God which speaks to you always.
To be God like, you must be absent or silent. You must be empty enough to let his love and power flow through you.
If you have a will of your own, you cannot be his instrument. If you have a mind of your own, you cannot let his thoughts manifest in you.
To bring God into your life and light up your thoughts and actions with his power and brilliance, I suggest a simple technique.
Make God your role model, and use him as the ideal you want to manifest in you.
Follow his example in whatever you do and try to achieve his level of purity and virtue.
If you persist in this, eventually, the power of God will be established in you and speak through you.
When your mind and body become pure, you become God-like.
This is the secret I want to speak to you today because it has the power to transform your life forever. It will not only heal you but also make you a source of healing.
In my life I have struggled in vain to be many things and seek many things, until I realized that all my efforts to be something or reach somewhere in my life would be in vain if I did not have the virtues of God or follow his example.
Trying to be God like is not arrogance but humility. You need immense humility, courage, faith and devotion to be not yourself, but be God like and make God the center of your beingness.
God is our only recourse and example to follow. We will have peace and abundance only when our allegiance to him is complete and unconditional.
What can we give to him? Is not that offering which you make to him in a Church or temple already belongs to him?
Our offerings are meant not to satisfy his wants and needs, but ours. We pray to him not because he needs our prayers but because we need his help and support.
We cannot give him anything that he does not have. We can only take from him what he wants to give out of love because he is the source of everything.
Therefore, if there is any ideal which is worthy of emulation and practice, it is God only. He is the highest ideal one can follow. He is our true ideal and role model.
Surrendering to him to live as him, this is the greatest sacrifice that we can make in our search for knowledge, love, redemption and liberation.
How can you make God your role model and grow in his likeness? Here is a simple technique, which you can practice.
Imagine that God has descended into the earthly plane and taken birth as a human being. Imagine that he has retained most of his divine qualities, but none of his magical or supernatural powers.
How would he have lived? How would he have solved his day to day problems, dealt with people and conducted himself in mundane life in a world of opposites and impermanence?
Imagine and live that way. Live the way God would have lived and conducted himself upon earth. Live the way he would have spoken to others, the way he would have behaved with them, the way he would have coped with adversity, the way he would have faced negative people and situations, the way he would have managed relationships, kept his words and resolved conflicts, and so on.
Whenever you have a problem or a difficulty, imagine how God would have solved the problem or conducted himself.
As you start measuring yourself against God along these lines, you develop the urge to measure up to him. God becomes your goal and your true ideal, and you would be drawn to him forever.
It is not difficult to visualize the life of God on earth in human form, or how he would have lived here amidst us like a human being, not as a super human but as an ordinary person with all the limitations to which we are subject.
It is not that God has never visited the earth or shown us the way to live under ideal circumstances.
The purpose of his incarnations is but to exemplify the ideal life which human beings are expected to live upon earth under testing circumstances. It is to suggest in a practical way how we should live and conduct ourselves living upon earth amidst the dualities and distractions of worldly life.
Therefore, let us mold our lives according to the divine values and the highest ideals and truths, with God as our imaginary role-model, our true ideal and our goal on earth. Let us think like him, act like him, and live like him.
It is in the richness of our imagination, and in the strength of our devotion, that we can learn to follow him truly and successfully and prepare ourselves to experience the highest goals of attaining oneness.
Suggestions for Further Reading >
- Healing Through Compassion
- Creating Harmony In You And Around You
- Spiritual Laws That Govern Our Lives
- Are You Different From Others?
- A Healthy Recipe for Life
- How You Can Attract Abundance, Healing Others
- The Power of Intention
- Finding Your Peace and Harmony
- Three Important Mind Tools
- Truths About Pain and Suffering
- Spirituality For Worldly People
- Finding Your Soul
- Friendship with God
- God As Your Role Model
- Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and Other Resources
- Famous Quotations on Spirituality
- Seeing God Everywhere
- Mental Liberation: Achieving Mental Freedom
- Individuality in the Five Sheaths (Kosas) of the Body
- Hinduwebsite - Essays on Practical Spirituality
- Present Moment Awareness in Everyday Life
- Emptying Your Mind and Becoming Zero
- The Bhagavad-Gita on Suffering
- The Way of Peace by James Allen
- Awakening Your Mind and Body To Higher Consciousness
- For the Ego Religion is a Tool
- Conquering Fear
- Healing Your Consciousness - Advanced Self-healing Techniques
- How to Solve Problems With Spiritual Help?
- Relevance of Scriptures in Modern Life
- Making Peace With The Imperfections of Your Existence
- Materialism and Spirituality, The Two Paths of Life
- The Soul and the Mind
- Morality and Nature in Good Vs. Evil
- What is Your Natural State of Mind?
- Why Gandhi's Non-violence Was not True Non-violence
- Objective Concentration Techniques
- The Soul, The Ego and The Process of Liberation
- Tapping Into The Hidden Intelligence
- Ten Reflections For a Spiritual Person
- The Mind and The Illusion of Reality
- Books on Vegetarian Cooking
- Is Enlightenment the Right Word for Spiritual Liberation?
- Who Am I?
- Why do we want our World to End?
- Why is Life Such a Struggle?
- The Witness Self or the Observing Self
- Essays On Dharma
- Esoteric Mystic Hinduism
- Introduction to Hinduism
- Hindu Way of Life
- Essays On Karma
- Hindu Rites and Rituals
- The Origin of The Sanskrit Language
- Symbolism in Hinduism
- Essays on The Upanishads
- Concepts of Hinduism
- Essays on Atman
- Hindu Festivals
- Spiritual Practice
- Right Living
- Yoga of Sorrow
- Mental Health
- Concepts of Buddhism
- General Essays
Translate the Page